Tuesday 15 July 2008

Malmö and Stockholm

So I'm finally in Sweeden! Left My great aunts on Monday afternoon and headed into Copenhagen, then across the bridge to Malmö in Sweeden. I'm sure Malmö is a lovely place to live but trying to kill a few hours there and the place became hellish! Most of the "tourist attractions" had closed before I arrived so my time was spent walking from square to square and the back again. The old faithful Irish bar was closed for the summer and not really fitting in to the bar restautrant scene, i sat down and read my book. Having given up i headed to the station and spotted "The Bishops Arms" a british theme pub (appear to be a chain over here) nice pint of London Pride and my book and time soon flew by to catch my night train to Stockholm.
Didn't get the best nights sleep on the train but i've had a lot worse. Arrived in Stockholm at 7am realising that the hostel i had reserved didn't open till 9. A quick nap in the stations waiting area and i headed to the hostel, about 10 mins walk. Really nice place in the basment of a shop or something, but its plastered all over to somewhat look like a cosy cave!
Checked in at 9, but was unable to use the room till 3pm, so i headed into town.
After visiting Slotten (i think thats right) and going up the elevator to see the city from a hight, i managed to catch my bearings. Jumped across on a boat to another island (stockholm is made up of about 14 in all) to visit the impressive Vassa Mussem, which houses a 17th Centuary galleon that had been salvaged from one of the channels after 333 under water!! Was pretty amazing i have to say!
After that mostly milled about town taking in the sites and sounds, purhased my ticket for my ferry crossing to helsinki on friday.
Amazingly i've traveld all this way and nobody has checked my inter-rail pass so I still have 10 free journeys!
Ne who think i'm goin to nip to the supermarket and grab some pasta to cook up
Drop by soon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude! Dodgy train journeys? Closed hostels, sounds familiar....! xx